Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Training and Some Thoughts

Just a quick post to let you all know how things are:

I've just finished the second day of two weeks of training for my teaching job. I've been given more information than I could ever hope to remember, but I know as time goes by, knowing what to do will become more second nature.

I've been encouraged by the teachers I've met. They are warm and caring. The district continues to impress me with their care and concern for the students and families. The families impress me with their selflessness as they pass bond after bond so we can have some extra money to improve schools and their children's education.

In this district an education is a matter of continuing a life in poverty, and having a better life. The families in this community know this, and do whatever they can to provide for their children. It is very heartwarming.

Everyday it is more apparent that there is a very human element in this district. The people I have talked to and listened to are for creating and contributing to young kids so that they might become functioning members of society. Of course there are prescribed standards to be met, but that is sort of an unspoken understanding in this district. They are only a means to an end of improving student's lives. It is a very clear vision. And when people at the head of the district have that vision, it filters down to everyone under them.

No comments: