Monday, July 11, 2005

Being Bilingual

I stopped by my school today. My principal let me pick out my classroom! I picked one that faces this beautiful, shady grassy knoll. It used to be a kindergarten room, so it has it's own bathroom. That should be convenient. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pictures soon of getting my room ready!

Something else to consider:
My mom and sister came to the school with me, and my mom mentioned that my Spanish would probably be getting a lot better in this environment. My principal said that it probably would in my interactions with the parents. He also said it is against the law to use Spanish to deliver instruction in Arizona. The kids can use it when they interact with each other, but I cannot. I can use if for clarification, but not for instruction. Can you imagine little first graders talking with each other in Spanish in my classroom? It will be sooo cute, but also a bit of trial by fire because until I can get up to par, I may be missing out on vital communications. Okay, so here's the part to consider. I've often wondered if I would ever be in a place where I actually had to use my Spanish. I've also thought what a waste it was to have invested so much time into classes and the like, if I was never going to use it. But I never could imagine myself in a setting where I would get to use it. But here I am. Isn't it amazing what the Lord brings full circle in our lives? I am in a place where I will get to and have to use conversational Spanish with native speakers! What a joy!

Es todo mis queridos.

No comments: