Friday, August 11, 2006

D-A-N-C-E Spells Dance

I went to the dance studio for the first time since school started yesterday. All day long I just kept thinking "Eight more hours until my lesson....four more hours until my lesson...two more hours until my lesson..." I was definitely having dance withdrawals.

The cool thing about this lesson was that it was with my teacher, but I had also booked another teacher to watch us and give us feedback. This sounds extremely extravagant, but the only way I was able to do that was because I had been a "substitute teacher", as it were, for this second teacher. As a way of thanking me she gave me some free lessons. I thought the best way to use them was for her to watch me and Myke. She always has amazing choreography ideas, and her dancing gives me chills. Seriously. She is that good.

Anyways, so we worked together and she gave Myke and I such great ideas. She took my half of the choreography up a notch. I'm super excited now for what we have.

Anyways, the whole point of this background is to say how I felt during and afterwards.

My heart was singing. I was emanating pleasure. I am always surprised after times like that how much dance affects me. How central it is to who I am.

So, this next week I have a lesson and two practice sessions with Myke, and another lesson with another teacher with whom I'm doing a Samba. This is all in preparation for Extravadancza, which is a mini competition between the two Arthur Murray studios in the Phoenix area. Yay! Yay costume changes! Yay false eyelashes! Yay tons of fun makeup! Yay high heels shoes that I can point my toes in!

Viva la dance!

No comments: